09 Mar 5 Friyays: March 2
Happy Friday, Happy March, and Happy Women’s History Month everybody! It is a blustery but sunny day here in the city of bridges – I hope wherever you are reading this from you are trying to enjoy the view! I’ve got a hoppin’ selection of stories for my (Dr. Hinson) 5 Friyays this week so let’s get to it!
1. Last weekend Dr. Donnelly and I had the privilege of watching “Miracle” (one of my all-time favorite movies) at a local Pittsburgh movie theater. What was special about this viewing was the presence of Assistant Coach for the 1980 ‘Miracle’ team, Craig Patrick, who introduced the film and spoke about his experience. We love sports and leadership here at AR, and Mr. Patrick reminded us all that strong leadership is bringing together people for a common cause, and showing them that the cause is bigger than any individual gain.
2. If you’ve been following us on social media, you’ll know we’re VERY excited to start celebrating Women’s History Month. If you missed my introduction, I’ve answered some basic questions for you in our last blog. This month we’ll be looking at as many diverse perspectives on women as we can find and next week we’re starting with 5 Facebook live introductory vlogs to get us ready to chat. Here’s the link to our first vlog – we hope to see you there and would love for you to join the conversation!
3. Anyone who’s been following my 5 Friyays knows that I am a big fan of CBS Sunday Morning. In this past week’s episode they had a fascinating interview with Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella where he talked about his vision for the future of the company. What I loved about his philosophy was the emphasis on empathy and compassion as essential parts of leadership. Keep an eye out this Spring for our review of his book “Hit Refresh”!
4. As avid readers, Dr. Donnelly and I were both delighted to see music icon Dolly Parton honored by the Library of Congress for donating her 100 millionth book through her nonprofit The Imagination Library. The Imagination Library sends books to children once a month from birth to kindergarten – imagine the collection you could have started! I loved seeing someone’s passion for providing books for children to own!
5. I’m closing out my list this week by honoring my inner space-nerd. I grew up watching Star Trek and Star Wars and helping my father decorate his high school classrooms with the latest images from NASA. Really exciting news came this week from the National Science Foundation where researchers discovered some of the light from some of the Universe’s first stars – what is commonly referred to as the Cosmic Dawn. If the science is a little shaky for you, watch this 5 minute video and sit in wonder at the discoveries possible through scientific research!
That’s a wrap on my 5 Friyays for the first Friday in March – where has the year gone! Join Dr. Donnelly next week with her 5 top stories from the week that was!