17 May 5 Friyays: March 30
Happy Friday, dear readers! It’s Dr. Hinson back again curating my list of 5 favorite new stories from the week that was! It’s a short week for AR since today is Good Friday and we hope that whatever your beliefs or practices you find moments of rest and joy this long weekend. It was a hectic week for me, and to be honest, I’m a little scattered and so is my list, but let’s crack on anyway!
1. I begin with pure joy. Dr. Donnelly deserves full credit for introducing me to Jeremy Jordan. Known for his work on the original cast of Newsies and the CW show Supergirl, this week we got to see him destroy “She Used to Be Mine” from Waitress at the MCC’s Annual Miscast Gala. At the gala, singers choose songs for roles they would not be cast in, yet, Jordan (as he always does) digs deep to bring emotion and authenticity to his performance. You’re welcome.
2. Though many, many people are talking about last week’s 60 Minutes, few people are talking about their delightful story of a young Greek basketball player named Giannis Antetokounmpo. Antetokounmpo plays for the NBA’s Milwaukee Buck’s but still retains a strong sense of his Greek heritage. It’s a heartwarming story of perseverance and kindheartedness.
3. As many of you may know, yesterday was Opening Day for Major League Baseball. Dr. Donnelly is a huge baseball, and Phillies fan, and I’ve grown up with the sport and support my local Pittsburgh Pirates. This is the first opening day since the 1960s where all major league teams are playing. Whether or not you are a fan, baseball season always bring the promise of Spring and Summer and warmer weather!
4. I don’t usually make it through a Friyay without sharing something I learned from my favorite news program, CBS’s Sunday Morning, and this week is no exception. A few weeks ago they spent the entire episode discussing the idea of genius. In this conversation with author Walter Isaacson, he draws connections between intelligence and curiosity, stating, “I think you have to be curious, open-minded, and willing to change when the evidence changes.” We’ll be talking more about curiosity towards the end of the year, so this certainly peaked my interest!
5. This week Abbey Research was proud to help sponsor the Gourmet Getaway event by the Women in Business Committee of the Central Bucks Chamber of Commerce! All the money raised at this wonderful evening went to help the Women in Business Scholarship Fund which “benefits women in Bucks County who overcame substantial challenges to make a better life for themselves and their families, and need support to receive an education.” We were delighted to be involved in such an important venture and the night was a great success!
I hope you’ve enjoyed/learned from my top 5 this week! Comment below with thoughts or suggestions for what got you thinking this week! Dr. Donnelly will be back next week with her 5 Friyays to start April!