As this posts, I (Dr. Donnelly) am in Denver, celebrating the wedding of a dear favorite and Dr. Hinson is winging her way off to Belfast to speak at an academic conference. All this got me thinking about traveling, so that's the theme of this week's series entry.
1. There's a lot of tips for traveling for business (which is grueling and rarely glamorous), but I appreciate this list from Business Insider because it shows how diverse the tips are. Part of traveling is finding out what works for you. Sure, everyone should drink a lot of water to fight off jet lag, but bodies are different and sometimes people need to nap to fight it and sometimes folks need to stay awake. Some folks need Xanax to fly and others love it. Trial and error and finding your secret sauce to travel is key.
2. If you are not familiar with Lonely Planet, I'd encourage you to become so quickly. Whenever you're going somewhere new (even if it's four towns over) it's nice to have some insider info. Lonely Planet has been traveling and reviewing the world for decades and their tips and tricks are always spot on.
3. While Dr. Hinson loves watching movies on planes (and so does my husband!), I'm a reader. I make sure my Spotify is full of piano music for background noise and my Kindle is fully charged for any flight I go on. If you're a reader and looking for new recommendations for plane reads, I recommend Book Riot, All About Romance, and the new releases shelf of your local library! Pick up a book you might never have otherwise read (it's free, y'all, so no risk) and get lost in it while in the air.
4. Sometimes you need gadgets just for travel to make everything that bit easier. The Grommet is my personal go-to for that unique item I have in my head as the thing I need but can't find anywhere. Bonus: it supports entrepreneurs and inventors!
5. Finally, I adore travel. Collecting both passport stamps and memories is my favorite hobby and I've had the privilege of being able to combine work and travel quite frequently. That being said, my Top Five destinations are as follows: Northern Ireland (particularly Belfast and the Antrim Coast), Nova Scotia, Rwanda, Denmark, and Scotland. What are yours?