Happy New Year, dear readers!! Dr. Donnelly and I have been hunkered down all week in AR HQ, brainstorming, planning, and creating! We have a whole host of new content on deck for this month, this quarter, and this year, and we cannot wait to share it with you! We hope in this holiday season you found peace and rest and haven't frozen to you desks during our current arctic blast! Surviving the first week of 2018 is a challenge for us all, here are my (Dr. Hinson) top 5 stories for this week!
1. Big news in the ongoing conversation into sexual harassment in the workplace happened this week when a group of over 300 influential women launched Time's Up, a series of working groups aimed at spotlighting injustice, advocating for equality, and assisting victims and survivors of sexual harassment and assault. Through publishing this letter in several high profile news outlets, the campaign quickly became one of the most talked about news items this week. We'll be watching (and joining) these empowering women as they lead the fight for change!
2. This week I was excited to receive in my inbox a notice that it's time for Pittsburgh Restaurant Week Winter 2018 edition, running January 15-21. For our Pittsburgh (or Western PA) based readers, the map and listing for the week offer some fabulous deals on great food around town. If you're looking for something new to try this new year, check it out!
3. One of the good Doctors favorite mental escapes are the shenanigans on ABC's The Bachelor and The Bachelorette series. Dr. Donnelly and I both believe crap TV can function as self-care and this ridiculous misrepresentation of relationships and romance is a good'un. The latest Bachelor dropped this week, starting our journey with former-Indy race-car driver, Arie Luyendyk Jr., and if the first episode is anything to go by, Monday nights will be entertainment central for Abbey Research.
4. Tuesday the 2nd was #NationalScienceFictionDay and in celebration of one of my favorite genres I have to recommend taking the time to see the latest Star Wars installation, The Last Jedi. Whether or not you are a fan of the universe (spoiler: I am) it is a powerful story of bravery and leadership with one of the best lines of 2017: "That's how we're going to win. Not by fighting what we hate, but saving what we love."
5. Sticking with a bit of a TV theme for this week, Wednesday saw the return of one of my all-time favorites, The Amazing Race. Each season of the show reminds me of my love of travel and adventure, but also the importance of open communication and leading with kindness. Racing around the world with someone you love can be a remarkable experience, so long as you remember the adventure is way more important than the competition. Excited to see what this season of racers get up to!
That does it for our first 5 Friyays of 2018 - we hope you're enjoying this list over a warm cup of your favorite hot drink (since it's, you know, a baltic polar vortex out there)! What caught your eye this week or got you thinking? We'd love to hear from you!