4 Pragmatic Questions to Help Improve Your 2019 Employee Engagement Program

4 Pragmatic Questions to Help Improve Your 2019 Employee Engagement Program

Hey all, Dr. Hinson here! As we creep ever closer to the end of 2018, it’s time we start thinking about planning 2019. Though we all have our strategic plans, and hopefully our goal setting (more on that later) firmly in hand, one of the integral pieces of the office calendar you might not be thinking about is your employee engagement plan. With that in mind, I’m here to ask 4 pragmatic questions that will help you improve your 2019 employee engagement program.

A recent Gallup poll found that only 13% of employees reported feeling engaged at the workplace. That leaves a staggering 87% feeling disengaged, so if you were thinking that employee engagement shouldn’t be a top priority for 2019, I’m here to tell you you’re wrong. Disengagement leads to turnover, which we all know costs money.  In order to save money, and maintain a positive and engaged workforce, what do you need to do?

The Good Doctors conducted research into approaches for employee engagement over the Summer. Our research found these key approaches are essential to building a strong program: know your goals (and communicate them effectively), involve employees in those goals, start with training or on-boarding, acknowledge employees (from achievements to everyday greetings), and focus on employee development.

Clear communication is the foundation of any successful business, and knowing your companies goals are nearly as important as communicating those goals effectively to employees. Our research into the millennial workforce shows a strong inclination to work for organizations whose goals and values match the employee. The process of engaging employees starts from their first day, with any training models or on-boarding processes. Gallup also recently found that 51% of employees are actively looking for work after 6 months, so developing a positive association needs to happen quickly. Employees want to be valued, both for their accomplishments and their individualism, make a point to look after both. People remain committed to work that allows for professional and personal growth, build those opportunities into any employee development programs that you run.

What does this all mean? From our research, we’ve devised these four questions for each manager, employer, and leader to ask when thinking about improving their employee engagement program:

1. How do you listen and communicate to your employees?

2. What are the personality traits, intercultural competencies, and generational expectations that might impact their work?

3. What are your policies on diversity and inclusion and how do you enact them?

4. How does your leadership philosophy positively impact office culture?

While you’re thinking ahead for 2019, the Good Doctors strongly encourage you to think through your responses to these questions. If you have readily available answers, and a strategic plan to support them, then you’re on the right track to producing a positive culture of employee engagement. If these questions have appeared out of the blue, then a negative work culture could be impacting your employee engagement, profit margins, and turnover rate.



Saving the workplace one hard (and healing) conversation at a time

Contact Us
>