09 Mar 5 Friyays: February 2
Greetings all, it’s Dr. Hinson coming to you from Pittsburgh with our latest installment of 5 Friyays! Happy Groundhog’s Day to you all – isn’t it nice to know we only have 6 weeks till Spring (or 6 weeks left of Winter)? I guess Phil is either a glass half-full or half-empty kind of groundhog. Since my next Friyays will be from Philly, I thought for this week I’d focus on some awesome and hilarious Pittsburgh stories, sandwiched in between highlighting some brave and remarkable women! Let’s crack on, eh?
1. Though Dr. Donnelly and I don’t usually take this space to share our own content, I felt it was necessary to include our first edition of Hot(ish) Takes – a new monthly series where we will be tackling hot topics and providing our thoughts. This week we tackled recognizing cultural systems of abuse and applauded the brave women gymnasts who spoke against their own abuse/abuser. Check it out and stay tuned for next month’s edition (where I promise I’ll have a better mic)!
2. This past weekend I attended the Going Deep Summit at the Kelly Strathorn Theater in East Liberty. One of the speakers on a killer line-up was Leah Lizarondo , the Co-Founder and CEO of 412 Food Rescue , a Pittsburgh company that is helping to end food waste and hunger in the region. Through their Uber-like app they are connecting suppliers (who have food waste) with charities (who can distribute it) with volunteer drivers and transporters. Pittsburgh people – this is a remarkable company, download the app, give an hour of your weekend, and we can do this!
3. Another remarkable presenter at the Going Deep Summit was Dan Bull who spoke about his for-profit incubator Zero Six Eight. The incubator promotes second-chance entrepreneurship for formerly incarcerated people, as well as providing job opportunities, housing, and re-entry support. Pretty incredible stuff from our local innovators!
4. The most exciting thing to land in my inbox this week was the announcement for the 2018 Makers Conference . The conference continues to amplify feminist voices who are making a difference in their fields, and who are empowering others to tackle systemic discrimination, abuse, and inequality. The physical conference in LA is sold out (no surprise) but the website has a link to watch it live – I’ll be there!
5. I haven’t yet introduced ya’ll to Pittsburgh Dad, the funniest rendering of a stereo-typical ‘yinzer’ you will ever find. As AR prepares to cheer for the Eagles as they take on the loathed Patriots in the Super Bowl this weekend, it only seemed appropriate to end this week’s Friyays with Pittsburgh Dad’s take on the big game. Enjoy (but ignore the disparaging remarks about Philly, they are not Dr. Hinson endorsed)!
That’s what has Dr. Hinson thinking and laughing this week – what rocked your inbox or led you on YouTube rabbit hole? We’d love to hear back!